Get Involved With the Office of the Student Advocate
Apply for our Student Advocate Fellowship
The Office of the Student Advocate guides and supports students, parents, families, and community members in navigating the public school system in DC. We provide step-by-step assistance for students, parents, families, and community members to be informed, be connected, and be empowered; we accomplish our goal of assisting students and their families achieve equal access to public education through advocacy, outreach, and information services. More information about our office can be found at http://sboe.dc.gov/page/office-student-advocate.
Under the supervision of the Chief Student Advocate, fellows participate in all aspects of the office’s support of DC students and families. This work includes but is not limited to:
- Participating in and supporting parent engagement, advocacy, and outreach events.
- Responding to requests for assistance.
- Developing and designing materials for various topics related to and impacting education.
- Assisting with outreach activities such as developing presentations and maintaining the office’s social media presence.
- Assisting with web development and compliance.
- Attending conferences, briefings, and forums as a representative of the Office of Student Advocate.
Submit resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In your cover letter, please indicate (1) what weeks you are available in the spring semester. We are seeking fellows with availability starting in February and continuing through May or June, with a possibility of extension; (2) which days of the week you would be available for the fellowship; and (3) whether you are interested in the stipend or course credit. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
Join our Volunteer Advocate Program
We are in the planning stages and working with agencies, organizations, and community leaders to establish a curriculum for this 8-week training program to teach parents how to become their child’s best advocate. Please continue to check this page regularly for updates.