- We respond to all complaints within 48 hours.
- We listen carefully to your concerns and seek to understand them thoroughly.
- We keep what you tell us confidential unless we have serious concerns about student safety.
- Depending on the situation, we may:
- Coach parents and school staff on best practices for communication.
- Seek additional information and records from the school.
- Participate in meetings to support effective communication and problemsolving.
- Facilitate or mediate conversations.
- Make recommendations for a school to take a particular action, or for school systemwide improvements
The Office of the Ombudsman for Public Education assists with visitor concerns on a first come first serve bases. During times of high call volume, our office may not be able to respond to cases as quickly as we would like. In such circumstances, our staff will notify you when your case is being reviewed by an ombudsperson.
After a caller completes the screening and intake process, and their concern meets case criteria,a new case will be added to our database. Typically, a caller can expect to be contacted by our office within 1 week to 10 days.
Procedures for Students 18 years +
If you are calling on behalf of a student who is 18 years or older, we are required by law to speak with the adult student directly. Our staff will obtain consent before continuing any conversation.
Note: We are accepting intakes by phone and email. Please email [email protected] or call (202) 741-0886 and include your name, email address, and brief summary of your issue, and we will respond to you within 24 to 48 hours.
Nota: Estamos aceptando los sistemas de admisión por teléfono y correo electrónico. Nuestro sistema de admisión está actualmente abajo. Envíe un correo electrónico a [email protected] o llame al 202-741-0886 e incluya su nombre, dirección de correo electrónico y breve resumen de su problema, y le responderemos dentro de las 24 a 48 horas.