The State Board of Education conducts high-quality policy, research, and analysis to support its advisory and approval functions. Below are some items currently being reviewed by the State Board.
Recent or Highlighted Documents
- Adopted reports can be found under "Advisories" on the main State Board page, or click here to view them.
ESEA Waiver Renewal
- Memo on the Status of the ESEA Waiver (Updated: January 2014)
- OSSE's Resources on the ESEA Waiver (including implementation timelines, monitoring reports, and redlined extension requests)
- Answers to the State Board (May 5, 2014)
- Answers to the State Board (May 20, 2014)
- Implementation Committee Report, “ESEA Waiver Extension Request: A Swift, Upward Climb towards Excellence”
- OSSE's Presentation on the ESEA Waiver Extension Request Amendments (August 21, 2014)
- OSSE's Presentation on the ESEA Waiver Extension Request Amendments (August 27, 2014)
- ESEA Waiver Renewal Committee Report, "Recommendations on the Elementary and Secondary Education Act Waiver Renewal and Subsequent Amendments" (Adopted March 18, 2015)
Note: Some of the these documents are:
Parent and Home Engagement
- Annotated Bibliography and Policy Recommendations (Updated: Sept. 2013)
- DRAFT Parent Bill of Rights (email comments to [email protected])
Residency Verification Rules
- Memo on Revising Residency Verifcation Rules (Updated: February 2014)
Revising Graduation Requirements
- Proposed Graduation Requirements & Diploma Options (Updated: April 2014)
- Proposed Graduation Requirements (Updated: September 2013)
- Public Comments
The State Board's proposed graduation requirements would remove barriers from allowing LEAs to re-design their learning environment and focus on student needs. An LEA-led Competency-Based Learning Task has proposed the following definition for competency-based learning: Competency-based learning (CBL) is a student-centered approach to preparing students for college and career that is organized around competencies derived from societal and student needs. It de-emphasizes time-based advancement and promises greater accountability and personalized learning.
For more information about competency-based learning, please visit the following resources:
- U.S. Department of Education's Resources on "Competency-Based Learning or Personalized Learning"
- International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL)'s Resources on Competency-Based Learning
- Achieve's Resources on Advancing Competency-Based Pathways to College and Career Readiness
Who else is trying competency-based learning?
- State Efforts
- District Efforts