Welcome to the Safe Passage Community Resource Toolkit developed by the Office of the Student Advocate!
The goal of this resource toolkit is to provide a framework to create and sustain Safe Passage programs in our schools and neighborhoods. Safe Passage does not only entail ensuring safe transport for students to and from schools. It also encompasses young people finding ‘safe passage’ from early childhood to young adulthood. Only by addressing both definitions through safety/security measures as well as relationship-building/mentorship opportunities can we truly build more safe and nurturing communities for our students.
The toolkit is organized into 6 sections based on the 6 E’s prescribed by the National Safe Routes to School in order to utilize a comprehensive, integrated approach:
1. Education: Inform students, families, and community members about safety.
2. Encouragement: Use events and activities to promote safe practices.
3. Engineering: Implement physical improvements to streetscape.
4. Enforcement: Partner with local law to address traffic and crime issues.
5. Evaluation: Assess success and identify unintended consequences or opportunities.
6. Equity: Create access to opportunities and ensure equitable outcomes for everyone.
This toolkit provides resources for parents and caregivers to discuss issues of safety and transportation with their children. It also offers lesson plans and curriculum resources for educators to embed safety practices inside and outside of the classroom. The toolkit even includes strategies for reaching out to neighbors and community members to collaboratively make our spaces more safe and welcoming.
In this way, we hope it will help our students and families to be informed, be connected, and be empowered about both ensuring safety for our students and promoting greater engagement within our communities!
Please feel free to contact our office at (202) 741-4692 or [email protected] if you have questions about our work, this resource toolkit, or would like to discuss opportunities for us to work in partnership together. We look forward to working with you!