Administration & Budget – This committee monitors and oversees the State Board’s budget, personnel, and governance.
- Chair: Markus Batchelor, Ward 8
- Members: Karen Williams, Ward 7; Emily Gasoi, Ward 1; Ruth Wattenberg, Ward 3
Teacher Retention – This committee works to better understand the issue of teacher retention and the effects that low rates of retention have on District students, schools, and communities.
- Chair: Frazier O’Leary, Ward 4
- Members: Emily Gasoi, Ward 1; Zachary Parker, Ward 5; Karen Williams, Ward 7; Markus Batchelor, Ward 8; Ruth Wattenberg, Ward 3
Well-Rounded Education – This committee is conducting research to learn the degree to which D.C. schools are able to ensure students have access to a balanced education, with attention to non-tested subjects including arts, sciences, and social studies.
- Co-Chairs: Emily Gasoi, Ward 1; Zachary Parker, Ward 5
- Members: Jessica Sutter, Ward 6; Ruth Wattenberg, Ward 3; Markus Batchelor, Ward 8
Social Studies Standards – This committee is working to develop a multi-year plan, including extensive collaboration with the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) and a diverse group of stakeholders, that will ultimately result in revised state social studies standards that are culturally inclusive and anti-racist, impart important social studies content in the early grades, strengthen student knowledge of democratic principles and values, and promote civic engagement.
- Chair: Jessica Sutter, Ward 6
- Members: Zachary Parker, Ward 5; Karen Williams, Ward 7; Ruth Wattenberg, Ward 3; Markus Batchelor, Ward 8
Research – This committee is examining and reviewing how school quality is measured under the District’s STAR Framework, alternative ideas and options for such measurement, and the strengths and weaknesses of these measures.
- Chair: Ruth Wattenberg, Ward 3
- Members: Emily Gasoi, Ward 1; Jack Jacobson, Ward 2; Markus Batchelor, Ward 8; Jessica Sutter, Ward 6; Zachary Parker, Ward 5
Student Advisory – The Student Advisory committee ensures the voice of students is heard in improving education in the District.
- Co-Chairs: Dayja Burton, Alex O'Sullivan
- Members: Students
Every Day Counts! Task Force - The Every Day Counts! Taskforce is a partnership of diverse District of Columbia agencies and stakeholders that collectively advance and coordinate strategies to increase student attendance and reduce truancy.
- Ashley MacLeay, At-Large, to serve as alternate delegate
ESSA Task Force – ESSA implementation began during the 2017-18 school year. The task force will work diligently with the Office of the State Superintendent of Education to continue gathering input from diverse stakeholders on the design and development of the new accountability system for the District.
- Chair: Karen Williams, Ward 7
- Members: Jack Jacobson, Ward 2; Zachary Parker, Ward 5