About the Teacher Practice Standing Committee
The Teacher Practice Standing Committee monitors and provides recommendations related to:
|Chair: Frazier O'Leary, Ward 4
Members: Emily Gasoi, Ward 1; Allister Chang, Ward 2; Eboni-Rose Thompson, Ward 7; Zachary Parker; Ward 5
Teachers are the foundation of a quality education, and they are vital to the success of our students and our schools. School systems across the country have struggled with the problem of how to attract, train, support, and retain their teachers, principals, and school leaders. Previous testimony heard by the State Board and research suggests rates of teacher turnover in the District of Columbia are higher than the rates in other urban areas and higher than the national average.
Since May 2018, the State Board has sought to better understand teacher attrition or turnover and its implications for District students and schools, and what policies could be implemented to help them stay. The State Board’s work has found that the District’s average annual school-level teacher attritIon rate in both DC public schools (DCPS) & public charter schools is 25 percent—compared to a national average of 16 percent.
Learn more about the State Board's work and research on teacher retention here.
Educator Preparation Programs (EPPs)
The State Board is responsible for approving standards for the accreditation and certification of teacher preparation programs of colleges and universities in the District of Columbia. The Office of the State Superintendent of Education’s Division of Teaching and Learning determines which specific preparation programs have or have not met those standards. Through February 2018, the following educator preparation programs are state-approved:
- American University – School of Education
- The Catholic University of America – Department of Education
- Center for Inspired Teaching
- Gallaudet University – Department of Education
- Georgetown University – Educator Preparation Program
- George Washington University – Graduate School of Education and Human Development
- Howard University – School of Education
- KIPP DC – Capital Teaching Residency
- New Leaders
- Relay Graduate School of Education
- Teach for America
- Teach-NOW Graduate School of Education
- Trinity Washington University – School of Education
- University of the District of Columbia
- Urban Teachers